Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Sister

Else is another reason that I decided to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society this year.

She was eleven when our dad was first diagnosed with T-Cell Lymphoma.  We tried to keep a normal routine for her and not dwell too much on dad's illness.  But, she's pretty smart and quickly figured out what was going on. Being the only other person living in my parent's house at the time, I'm sure she saw and heard much more than we will ever realize.

I often look back and regret that I didn't take more time to talk to her about what was happening. Instead I avoided the difficult conversations and took her shopping, out to lunch or to see a movie when I was back in town. 

Well, now my "little sister" is 20 and is going to school to become a nurse.  Her ultimate goal is to become an oncologist nurse. She wants to help others - patients and family members alike through the process of dealing with cancer.  She's an inspiration for me and I know she'll make an awesome nurse.

However, she was so young when her life changed.  I would like to help the society raise money so that other children don't need to experience what she had to go through (or have the blood-related cancer themselves).  These children deserve the "worry-free" life of a child.  Lets help the society raise money to fund research to CURE cancer!!


Donate online today.

2 comments:

MsAmanda said...

sniff, sniff.

Mom said...

Actually , you did more than just take her shopping. The two of you went ice skating, and yes some shopping. But most importantly you spent time with her.