Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

My dad is tough

I don’t remember much about my life during my dad’s battle with cancer. I guess it’s true that the brain protects you from remembering the details of unpleasant events. But, I wonder if I would remember more if my dad wouldn’t have been so darn tough.

You see, he was raised on a farm and is no stranger to hard work. He approached his cancer battle as he has with everything in his life – hard work, dedication, faith and a commitment to family.

Throughout my life my parents have shown time and time again that hard work and perseverance pays off. My dad’s approach to his cancer battle may not be what his doctors or my mom would have recommended (he wasn’t exactly an ideal patient – germs are a very bad thing when you have no immune system), but it worked for him. He showed everyone that not even cancer should stop you from enjoying life and continuing to create good, memorable moments.

He’s truly an inspiration– and not to mention one tough cookie.

No comments: